Wednesday, 8 February 2012

Still Carrying Around This Potent Neurotoxin Next to Your Brain?

By Dr. Mercola –

* Dental amalgam, a.k.a “silver fillings” contain anywhere from 49 to 54 percent mercury.

* Toxic mercury vapors from “silver fillings” are released into your oral cavity every time you chew or drink hot liquids.

* A single dental amalgam filling releases up to 15 micrograms of mercury per day—over six times the amount you’d get from eating mercury-contaminated seafood—and is the primary source of mercury exposure in consumers.

* Mercury is a neurotoxin that readily crosses your blood-brain barrier, cellular membranes, and your central nervous system.

* Mercury is known to cause psychological, neurological and immunological health problems.

This below eye-opening video from the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology ( is worth more than a thousand words when it comes to illustrating the very real danger of mercury fillings. It contains a powerful visual demonstration of how mercury vapors are released into your oral cavity every time you chew, visit the dentist, or drink hot tea or coffee, for example.

And these mercury vapors continue to be released for at least 1.5 hours after each stimulation.

The poisonous vapors are odorless, colorless and tasteless, so you can’t tell when it’s happening. But you can be sure that if you have so-called “silver fillings” in your mouth, you’re continuously exposed to mercury, which passes readily through cell membranes, across the blood-brain barrier, and into your central nervous system, where it can cause psychological, neurological, and immunological problems.

VIDEO: Smoking Teeth

Amalgams = The Number One Source of Mercury Exposure

Dental amalgams are the primary source of mercury exposure in Americans. A single dental amalgam filling releases as much as 15 micrograms of mercury per day. The average individual has eight amalgam fillings and could absorb up to 120 micrograms of mercury per day. For comparison, eating mercury-tainted seafood will expose you to about 2.3 micrograms per day — and that is enough for scientists to call for a worldwide warning!

Unfortunately, while many have become well aware of the dangers of environmental mercury contamination, few are as well-informed when it comes to the dangers posed by dental amalgams.

Sadly, only one in four people is aware that silver amalgams contain mercury, and the dental industry is capitalizing on that ignorance. Part of the problem is that the very name “silver fillings” seems to imply they are made of silver, a misdirection that has kept a good majority of consumers in the dark for a long time. Alas, amalgams consist of more than50 percent mercury. When confronted about this, the industry response is that the term “silver” is meant to denote the color, not the constitution…

However, dentists have also been actively persuaded to keep this information under tight wraps, and they are under no obligation whatsoever to inform their patients about the mercury content of amalgam fillings. As recently as 2009, the FDA ruled that no warning shall be issued to patients—not even to young women and parents of young children—that the mercury from the amalgam fillings is a reproductive toxin and a neurotoxin, despite the fact that pregnant women and young children are at greatest risk from mercury toxicity.


No comments: